How Grazers Works
Grazers Products: Contents and Mode of Action
All four products in the Grazers range are in liquid form and based around the plant nutrient calcium (the CaCl form), combined with a natural adjuvant of a plant extract to improve its plant interaction. The content of individual Grazers products differ in the amounts of these co-formulants, each depending on the circumstance, so orientated towards the pests’ grazing method and the plant type.
This speciﬁc mix of calcium and adjuvant only works to keep away grazing pests when it is applied to the photosynthesising leaves, stems or ﬂowers of any plant, thereby interacting with the plant’s own metabolic processes.
When applied to leaves and stems, the calcium is also absorbed into plant cells resulting in a “plant mediated effect” of making the plant unappealing to pests. The newest leaf or two formed after Grazers application is expected to be assisted by the translocated calcium.
Using a human term of reference, when Grazers is applied to a plant it makes it seem ‘bitter’ or unappetising to the attacking grazing pest, therefore unappealing for the pests to eat, so they look elsewhere for their food.
Like all safe and good biologically-active products, this effect does not last forever, because it is a normal plant nutrient and therefore naturally dissipates within the plant.
In the meantime however, plants applied with Grazers are given the very best chance to establish, thrive and overcome their pests.
- Apply a fine mist all over, including under leaf.
- Calcium covers the plant and starts to enter the leaves.
- Calcium on the leaf remains unless there is heavy rainfall.
- Translocation of calcium to the next new leaves occurs.
- New leaves will have some level of assistance.
- Further shoot growth needs additional Grazers coverage.
- After time, all of the plant will need further application.
Recommended Application Techniques for Grazers Products
Grazers products are all liquids, either supplied in a concentrate form to be diluted before application, or in a ‘ready to use’ diluted solution. Instructions for use are provided on the individual containers, though it is always important that the Grazers application, for any of the pest groups, is made in advance of expected plant attacks.
Using a ﬁne mist of liquid, the product should be applied to cover any parts of the plant that might be imminently attacked by the pest. Application does not need to be heavy (to avoid product waste), though it does need to be thorough in its coverage (apply to leaf run-off), across the full plant to ensure its action is most effective
Key Advice for Grazers Products Applications
Best advice for achieving the most successful Grazers applications:
- Anticipate the pest – proactively apply the product prior to signiﬁcant plant grazing or egg laying
- If pest numbers are very high, weather poor or plants growing very fast – increase application frequency
- Take the opportunity to accumulate the product on the vulnerable part of plants prior to peak grazing (For example, onto brassica plugs prior to transplanting, or rose / tree buds before deer discover them)
Expected Outcomes and Benefits from Using Grazers Products
✔ Pests are dissuaded from attacking plants with Grazers applied with effects lasting for up to 3 to 4 weeks
✔ As a consequence, the plants grow more vigorously, whilst also getting the beneﬁts of calcium nutrients
Wildlife and Nature:
✔ Removes, or greatly reduces, the need to use other environmentally damaging products or methods
✔ Natural plant pests ﬁnd other food sources locally, themselves remaining part of the food chain
✔ Hedgehogs, songbirds, insects and other wildlife such as amphibians are not under threat from chemicals
✔ Easy to apply Grazers products are inexpensive to use, especially when acquired in the concentrate form
✔ Other signiﬁcant costs of losing plants or using conventional crop protection methods are greatly reduced